Sunday, September 6, 2009

RWANDA

Oh my goodness, there is so much to say about our trip to Rwanda. It was the most eye opening thing I have ever encountered. I'm sure you have heard about the Rwanda genocide, but I don't think you can imagine what actually took place there. I certainly did not imagine what I saw, I never even fathomed it possible.
We went to this church where ten thousand Tutsis saught refuge from the Hutu's that were killing them. We heard the testimony there from one of the only seven people that survived. He was eight at the time and only survived because his brother smeared him with the blood of bodies around them and then hid him under them. People paid to be shot ( a quick death) so they would not have to be hacked to death and die slowly by machettes and clubs (took three days) like the rest. Covering the floor of this church now remiams the clothes of all those bodies, in some places it is a few feet thick. 57 people there were burried alive there in the back and there were boxes upon boxes of bones. And skulls that showed the traces of machette hacks and breaks.
But what I found most amazing, was Charles's story (the survivor that showed us around). He saw it all happen, his mother die, his father's limbs removed, found his brother decapatated and he stood there and told us that God is in contol. It was amazing. I have never ever in my life seen such hate, fear or torture, but yet at the end of it, I have never seen his kind of forgiveness, faith, trust or love. This man has every reason in the world to be bitter, yet he chooses to forgive. It made me feel really foolish about all the things I've held on to in the past. We also got to hear alot about the restoration that's happening here, it's amazing.
Uganda is quite different from Rwanda. Rwanda is alot prettier, plastic bags are illegal and everyone lives in the country so it's all green and spacious, it's also very hilly there. Uganda has a lot more city and alot more people. But the Island we stayed at last weekend in Uganda was absolutely gorgeous! Not city like at all, and we were pretty much the only people there besides the few workers that worked the restraunt. We played cards with them, it was fun, they taught us a game they play, it's just like uno but they play it with regular cards, and you only get three cards in the beggining so it's over really quickly. But there was this giant rope swing on the island, that went into the water.... so scarry. It took me like forever to go, but I'm glad I went when i did because if I had seen the girl hit the ground before the water that happened after me... I would have never gone. It was so scarry... I tweaked my middle finger and now it's bruised and crooked... but it was worth it. I don't think I'll have another chance to swing into an African lake from a giant platform again.
And now I'm back in Mukono. My first class starts in a couple of hours, and soon I'm going to go to lunch and eat carbs. That is the staple of life hear. So all of you trying to fatten me up before I left... I think the African diet is going to do that just fine. We might not eat as much junk food here, but I have never had so much carbs in my life. Bread, potatoes in all different forms (and fried like no other), rice, noodles, chipati (fried tortilla) and bananna and beans. That is what you eat regularly. Every once in a while the meat is good. Or we'll have eggs or pineapple.
But I'm having an amazing time! I got to meet my homestay mother!! Her name is Momma Irine. She is so nice, I can't wait until she's back for good in November. And Momma Maureen is the lady that helps out around the house.
It still hasn't really hit me that I'm in Africa.... it's not as different as I thought it would be I guess. But I'm loving it! I can't wait to see what's to come! And don't worry mom and dad, I'll try and keep my finger injury as my only injury =) LOVE YOU!!

2 comments:

  1. Holly! I hope you are having an amazing time. I know what you mean about the amount of pain that the people of Rwanda went through and their willingness to forgive. There was this lady named Immaculee Ilibagiza that spoke at a convocation at Pepperdine last year who survived the genocide. She wrote a book called Led by Faith that I want to read. She also has a website - http://immaculee.com. You might like to read it when you get back. Its supposed to be really good. But maybe not as eye-opening if you have already been to Rwanda because I'm sure a lot of people there have stories to tell too. I need some pictures holly! Hope everything goes great and that you don't injure yourself anymore. :)
    Love you!
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough stuff, Holly. Blessings on you as you begin to work through this stuff, girl. It's hard to see that, but somehow God is still bigger.

    ReplyDelete