Friday, August 28, 2009

Update from Uganda!!! My first entry!! We just got our computers back today, they had them for a while to enter in the internet codes on them. And yeah, my whole video entry ideas, I really don't think that's going to happen anymore, the internet is super slow here, it takes long enough just to send a written message. The people are so friendly here. I don't know why, nut I was expecting everyone to know english really well because it's the national language... so so wrong. They speak Luganda so much better. I'm learing a few things, and most of my family knows english, but with their accents, it's still very hard to understand. But it's fun. And guess what mom and dad... I really like the food!! I bet you would never ever had expected that =) but it's actually very good.
Nicole, I really hope you read this, I'm living with your family!! It's amazing. I'm still getting used to the whole, spash bath and squatty potty. Maybe next time when I have more time to write, I'll go into further details but I'll give you a little story as a tester =)
So, the squatty potty... it was our first night in with our host family. I hadn't really unpacked much stuff and didn't really know where anything was either. Our toilet is outside in this stone type building (bathrooms are where you bathe, the toilet is for what we would call 'going to the bathroom') It was really dark, which means the stone walls of our squatty potty (aka, cement floor with a rectangular whole in the floor that you squat over and go) so I didn't really want to go and tried to hold it.... bad idea. I got to the point where I thought I was going to pee my pants so when I decided to just go I couldn't find my headlamp and so I just had to like run out there in complete darkness and the noises of African night, feel for the squatty potty hole and pray that there weren't any other animal or bugs in there with me and go. Yeah, basically I always know where my headlamp is now. Oh and on top of all that, I had to go back out there again because i accidently left the toilet paper out there and I had to go get it. I found my headlamp for that though and then noticed that the floor was covered with these huge ants. Like bigger than I've ever seen before. It was creepy. There are a lot of noises in Africa, last night Joy (my amazing roommate) were serenaded to sleep by some African party, there music just echos all through, it was kind of cool. I hope we get to go to an African party sometime.
Tomorrow we leave for Rwanda and I won't get back until next sunday, so there won't be an entry for awhile. Much love from your Mizungu (I probably spelled this wrong, but it means white person, we get called that a lot, especially when they want us to buy something or give them money)

2 comments:

  1. Holly! No way! You're living with Nicole's family?!?! That's so crazy! You're squatty potty story made my day! I cant wait to hear more about your adventures and your roommate and your family. I love you so much and I'm praying for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Holly! Lindsay told me you were living with my family and I FREAKED OUT!!!!! I literally could NOT be more excited! Can't wait to talk to you more about it...safe travels for Rwanda. I hope that time is good for you...I had a really hard time and would love to talk about any and all parts of it when you get back to Mukono and have internet again. Blessings to you beautiful Muzungu! :)

    ReplyDelete