Thursday, September 10, 2009

This has been such a crazy week. They weren't kidding when they said it would be tough academically. It's not that the subject matter is that hard, there just isn't any time to do all the reading and assignments during the day. And it's hard getting used to doing things with the family, we have to ask everything. And I really miss you mom. We have no mom at our house right now, it's just a dad, brother and little brother... and I really miss having that motherly care. You always made sure I had something to do when I was bored mom, even when I didn't want to do what you suggested. I miss that. But hopefully we'll get more used to it here, develope more of a rutine, and help out more around the house.... so we're not just sitting around being attacked by a little three year old that throws cars at our heads.

.....................................

But last night... I was a little scared. We had heard about there being riots in Jinja and Kampala, but last night they were in Mukono, (aka the town I live in). Joy and I definitely were not bored last night. Our dad couldn't make it home because roads were closed due to the rioters buring tires on them, but there were still eleven people in our home. We had seven extra people staying at our house because they couldn't get home. And they all had a lot to say. They were very imformed. It kind of creaped me out, this one lady, her name was Peace, came in crying because they tried to burn her because she was from a different tribe, her skin was a lighter color and the boda-boda driver who saved her told her not to speak because they would hear her different accent as well. She was scared. Her husband had to hide in the bush somewhere last night too because whatever town he was in wasn't safe either. It was just crazy. When Joy and I got close to to home a bunch of gun shots were fired, it seriously sounded like they were coming around the corner towards us, so we ran the rest of the way home, but that was the only time I felt I was in danger. I felt very safe in our house, nervous, but safe. We got to see rioters drive by, that was a little creapy, but we were always safe.

Our home consisted of Joy and I, our Brother Elija (who also had a difficult time getting home from school and had to hide places along the way) our little brother Anoche, our house lady Maureen and her son Ivan, two stranded school children Katheryn and Noah, A married couple Sharon (who was actually in the IMME program two years ago and stayed with our family) and her husband Michael (Ugandan husband, they met while she was on her rural homestay) and Peace. It was crazy, but I liked how there were so many people. They say it's supposed to get worse. That on saturday the king of is supposed to come. Peace is worried that it is going to be about tribes, because is was for her last night, she compared it to the begining of what happened in Rwanda, which was slightly alarming. But the school is taking good care of us. There is no need to worry. I was just very glad I didn't have to go to the bathroom last night because I did not leave the house after we got in there at like 6:45. It helped that I like didn't really drink anything either, but yeah, it definitley would have been a pee in the waterbottle night if I had. Well, I will try to keep you as updated as possible. I won't have my computer over the weekend but I think I'll have time on Monday. And hopefully I'll have time to post some pictures then too. Sorry it's taking so long, it's been crazy. But I love you all so much! I learned a new word, Kulikayo, it means welcome back. So that's what I expect to hear you all say when I get back =)

1 comment:

  1. Holly. This is crazy. I've heard updates from a friend living in Kampala and he said he hasn't left his house in a few days cause of all this. We will be praying for you all and for all you are with. I love Musumba in that there are always extra people in the house - its cool to hear of all the people who are staying with y'all right now. I love that picture of community...even amidst what I'm sure must be a pretty scary time. Stay safe, dear.

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete